Search

Thursday, May 18, 2023

The Remarkable Ordinary: How to Stop, Look, and Listen to Life

 By Frederick Buechner


Zondervan     2017          

121 pages     Spiritual

Frederick Buechner was a writer, a theologian, a philosopher. He had the ability to say things that we all would like to be able to say—to connect his words with people’s hearts. Written in 2017, The Remarkable Ordinary is one of his last books. It came from a series of lectures Buechner gave in 1987 and 1990. He died in 2022 at the age of 96.

It is a brief book, divided into three sections: Stop, Look, and Listen for God; Listening for God in the Stories We Tell; and Telling the Truth. In the Forward by the book’s editor, John Sloan suggests that Buechner is a writer for devout skeptics and loyal believers. He seems to understand his readers and wonders with them without condemning the questioning. He wants to find the inner light within people and to celebrate the way that light shines.

I found myself underlining sentence after sentence and writing comments over and over. This particular book seemed to touch my soul. Was I feeling particularly vulnerable, or did Buechner have the remarkable ability to connect with my thinking, my concerns, my worries, and my cares.

Somehow reading Buechner’s words helps the reader pay attention to the ordinary in life and find the joy in the ordinary. He tells many stories about his life and how those incidents in his life helped him find peace. He suggests that we listen deeply to our stories and use them to find our own peace.

I am living alone for the first time in my life—since my husband died six months ago. The surprising thing for me is that I am learning to be at peace with this new reality. Buechner’s words have helped me to relax into my life and to find moments of intense joy and moments of beauty.

The words of Frederick Buechner came to me at the right time and the right place. I can’t wait to discuss it with my church book group next week.

I also read and reviewed A Crazy Holy Grace. You can find my review here.

No comments: