Search

Friday, January 24, 2014

Burn the Fat. Feed the Muscle



by Tom Venuto
 Harmony Books     2013
384 pages     Nonfiction
The Shortlist

Well, first of all, I am 70 years old, and I am more into Tai Chi than I am into body building, but I have a few comments about Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. I am a lifelong dieter, and I know diet gibberish when I see it. This book is not gibberish. It is solid advice for anyone, but particularly for people who are looking at their bodies realistically, and thinking, "What do I have to do to get fit." 

Two of the points the author makes are that "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is not only about looking better but also about becoming healthier." and "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is a lifestyle, not a quick fix." Realistically, the author says that the program is simple, but it's not easy.

Over a career of many years, Venuto has created a comprehensive plan for four elements necessary to creating a healthy, fit body. They are: nutrition, cardio training, weight training, and mental training. Venuto uses his body-builder secrets to help readers reach their fitness goals. He says, "Almost everyone is missing at least one piece of the puzzle, and that's what holds them back." He suggests trying this program out for 28 days and seeing what it does for your long-term lifestyle.

As an example of the usability of this advice, here is his list of foods that he believes burn the most fat. This is a practical list--something most people can plan on using.
whole fresh fruit
vegetables
sweet potatoes
potatoes
unsweetened oatmeal
brown rice
beans and legumes
100% whole wheat or whole grains
low- or nonfat dairy products
chicken and turkey breast
eggs and egg whites
lean cuts of red meat.
Seen a list like that before? Of course, we all have. Venuto mentions that some readers who lost over 100 pounds started their body transformation by eating foods from this list.

Frankly, I spent little time in the sections on training primarily because I have little expertise in any training other than cardio walking, Zumba, and Tai Chi. The advice seems sound. This is an extremely practical book utilizing a program that Venuto calls L.E.A. N. It means Learn, Eat, Activate and New body. It is one of the more useful and sensible books I have read on this subject. Besides that, I have never had a picture of a body builder on my blog before!

A disclaimer: The publicist sent me this book to review. I probably would not have looked at it on my own. 

Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle website: http://www.burnthefatfeedthemuscle.com/

No comments: