Search

Friday, December 13, 2019

The Caravan of Remembering: A Road Map for Experiencing the Awakening of your Life's Mission


By Daniel Goodenough

Heart’s Way Press     2016
282 pages     Fiction/Self-Help
The Shortlist

The Caravan of Remembering came across my desk recently, and I thought I would give it a nod, although I didn’t get it read. While  it is fictional, it also qualifies as a self-help book. David, a graphic designer in Chicago, has reached a low point in his life. However, everything changes when he is invited to come to the “caravan of remembering.” Through this caravan, David is able to move toward a new life’s mission and receives help in answering questions such as “Why am I here?” “What am I called to do?” and “Who am I called to be to fulfill that purpose?”

These are the questions that we are all called to answer at some time or other in our lives. Goodenough has woven these questions into a dreamlike and intriguing plot, destined to provide meaning for the reader—and allow readers to look again at their own destiny and their own purpose. There is a guide to each chapter at the end of the book. It looked to me that the questions and the quotes in the guide should be considered at the end of every chapter before the reader moves on.

My feeling is that the book would be valuable at any stage of life—and perhaps at more than one time in life. I can also see it being used for a book club or a counseling group. The author suggests, “Caravan is a place to be revisited as often as needed, with a process that is both a welcome mentor and companion on the journey.” I appreciated this comment as I look back on the number of times I have had to reset my life’s mission. My husband and I did a lot of refocusing after we read David Brook’s book, The Second Mountain earlier this year. The Caravan of Remembering serves somewhat the same purpose.

Here is Daniel Goodenough’s website.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm writing as someone who is a creating community around The Caravan of Remembering - and am delighted to read your words here. There are indeed online and in person book clubs where we work through the book chapter by chapter, sharing our responses to the questions. Sharing with others seems to be a productive way of working with the book, as we hear one another and gain extra insight for ourselves.

Your readers might like to know that there is a monthly newsletter with quotes, Q&A with Daniel and thoughts and artistic expressions from readers - a subscription link is available on the Caravan website - caravanofremembering.com. There is also a contact link to learn more about the clubs.

I'll share a bit personally now as well. The Caravan of Remembering has given me a context for connecting to my personal calling. More than a book, it's a place, as books sometimes are, that I can revisit in my daydreams and musings. I can feel the campfires and imagine who might be there with me. The questions are evocative in a way that my logical brain can't fully wrap around - answers to questions come without me thinking about them, it's more of a knowing. As I continue to explore the questions, repeating them more than once, there's a deepening that happens, and I'm often surprised that there was another layer - especially when I find a question nearly impossible to answer at first...an answer always comes if I stay with it.

As for career, this work has definitely supported me. I can now see over time, a consolidation happening in my life of the things I have I loved and found meaningful. It is getting easier for me to identify what is aligned with who I am and why I am here, even if I don't always have the words to articulate it.

Sincerely,
Carissa Kazyss
Nanaimo, Canada

Miriam Downey said...

Thank you for extending the book review further, Carissa. Appreciate your insights.