Search

Friday, April 4, 2014

The Craft Beer Revolution



by Stephen Hindy
Palgrave Macmillan     2014
272 pages     Nonfiction
The Shortlist

I chuckled when the publisher sent me a copy of The Craft Beer Revolution because of all my family, I know the least about beer, and frankly have just developed a bit of a taste for beer in my old age..

Stephen Hindy is the owner of Brooklyn Brewery, and his book tells the story of how he and a group of other brewers have transformed the beer industry. Craft beers are now being made all over the country. Even the major companies are now making craft brews as well as their traditional mass-marketed beers.

The Craft Brew Revolution is well written and well documented.  It would be an awesome Father's Day present for your favorite beer connoisseur.

My major disappointment was that he didn't tell the story of Larry Bell, our local brewer, who began the craft brew movement in Michigan and the Midwest with Bell's Beer. Quite honestly, the biggest event of the year in Kalamazoo happens in March when Bell's releases their Oberon. It's a huge downtown party! We have another big brewing coming building a complex in downtown Kalamazoo--Arcadia Ales, which is headquartered in Battle Creek Michigan.  

I gave my copy to my niece's husband who is the brew master at the Livery, a brew pub in Benton Harbor Michigan. He will put it to much better use than I can, novice that I am. If you are interested in Michigan Beer, here is an article by John Gonzales and his search for the best Michigan brewery.

Cheers!

Breweries mentioned:
Bell's Brewery.   http://bellsbeer.com/

No comments: