Search

Monday, June 17, 2013

Blood Pressure Down



by Janet Bond Brill
 Three Rivers Press, 2013
338 pages     Nonfiction
The Shortlist

Blood Pressure Down is another book about losing five pounds, eating more valuable foods like bananas and spinach, and exercising, although this time the book is about lowering your blood pressure. High blood pressure is not one of my physical problems, although I am eating less, eating mineral-rich foods and exercising more for other ailments that happen at my age. I still found the book valuable. I didn't know as much as I should about magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Brill, who has a PhD in nutrition, has a personal stake in getting people's blood pressure down; several members of her family have died from ailments related to high blood pressure.

This is a very clearly written guide to lowering blood pressure. It talks a lot about vitamins and minerals that aid in lowering blood pressure--magnesium, potassium and calcium in particular. It encourages the reader to cut the salt out of his/her diet and take Vitamin D3, CoQ10, Omega 3 fish oil, and low-sodium vegetable juice. It suggests a blood pressure reducing diet, and an exercise plan. Included are several good recipes and meal plans.

The best advice, I think, is to drink one glass of red wine every day and eat one to two squares of dark chocolate. This I can do!  Everything in Blood Pressure Down is very clearly stated, logical, and relatively easy to follow. Her message is this: “High blood pressure is the most preventable cause of premature morbidity and mortality in the United States and the world, and that lifestyle therapy is the cornerstone of treatment of the disease.” Her simple message is this: 

 1. Lose five pounds
2. Cut the salt out of your diet
3. Eat bananas
4. Eat spinach
5. Eat yogurt

This book came to me from the publicist. I can recommend it to readers who are struggling with blood pressure.


No comments: