Search

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dear readers...(I know there is at least one.) I am leaving Thursday for my mother's 90th birthday party which is Saturday. Thus, this week's book, a memoir, Hiding in the Spotlight by Greg Dawson, will be reviewed on Monday.

So, here is a tribute to my mother, Evelyn Dack, 90 on March 18.
She is my great reading inspiration. She read to us all of our childhood and let me go to the library every time I wanted. I know that she knew that I read with a flashlight under the blankets, and she never told me to turn out the light. Her favorite childhood book was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett and it became my favorite as well.

She can no longer read because her memory is failing her. The last book I read to her was Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish, and she loved every minute of it.

To Evelyn Dack, a remarkable woman and mother. Happy Birthday, Mom.

I'll return to blogging on Monday.


No comments: