Search

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Apartment


The Apartment

By K.L. Slater
Thomas & Mercer    2020
270 pages     Thriller

I wrote this review while I was sick. It is very incomplete, but it needs to be included in my “books read.”

As I have been healing from Covid 19, I have had trouble finding a book that would hold my interest. I was experiencing too much anxiety and too little energy. The Apartment by Karen Slater met my needs.

The Apartment is very skillfully written; it holds the reader’s attention all the way through. Part of the reason for this is the way the plot keeps moving, mostly because the reader gets immediately caught up in this “too good to be true” situation. Freya and her little daughter Skye will soon be homeless because of some  unfortunate life circumstances, when they are offered an apartment in the magnificent old Adder House near Kensington Palace. 

But nothing seems right from the very beginning, and  suspense fills every page. Freya is a very appealing character as is little Skye.  We want the best for them and yet we know that the best isn’t going to happen for them. There is a great deal of suspense, and I had trouble figuring out how all the pieces fit together. Unfortunately, the ending was quite rushed and the pieces did not all get tied up. That was a major disappointment in an otherwise taut thriller.

Interestingly, this book came out first as an Audible exclusive. The paperback and Kindle copies came out today, April 28. The Kindle Unlimited copy is currently free.

No comments: