Search

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark



By Debbie Levy
Illus. by Elizabeth Baddeley
Simon and Schuster     2016
40 pages              Picture Book

Everything you wanted to know about Ruth Bader Ginsburg in a children’s book. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is only the second woman to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States. She has been an unwavering advocate for women’s rights through her activism but also through her Supreme Court decisions. 

The first lines of the book, “You could say that Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s life has been one disagreement after another. Disagreeable? No. Determined? Yes.” In beautifully illustrated pages, Ginsburg’s life story is told with the focus on the trails that she blazed—one of only a few female law students at Yale and a law professor with two small children at home. She has served on the US Supreme Court since she was appointed by President Bill Clinton in 1993.







 Levy                               Baddeley





One interesting fact that I didn’t know. When she votes with the
majority in a Supreme Court decision, she wears a special lace collar over her robe. When she dissents, she wears a different collar.

I received this book for Christmas from my dear friend, Patricia, along with a pair of Ruth Bader Ginsburg socks. I am anxious to read I Dissent to my 6-year-old granddaughter. The book’s publicity says that it is for children aged 4-7, but I will dissent from that analysis. I think that it is extremely appropriate for elementary aged children. 

One another note: Ginsburg has named her court clerks through the 2020 Supreme Court session. That must mean she is going to work for the next three court sessions. Thank goodness.

No comments: